Wednesday, January 18, 2012

About SOPA my letter to Dianne Feinstein

My letter to my state senator:

Dear Ms. Feinstein,


I am an author whose books are frequently pirated online. Even though this possibly affects my income, I DO NOT SUPPORT the SOPA act.

I should mention that I do not rely on the sale of my books as my primary income. I may not be injured to the extent that an author, artist or musician may who relies on the sale of his/her digital product to put food on the table and pay rent. But may I just suggest that the people who pirate might not buy the products they steal if they were unable to acquire them illegally? Yes, its wrong, but does it really represent income lost? Perhaps they would simply do without the book/music/movie. I wonder.

In the interest of continued uncensored access to the rest of the world, though, I would willingly sacrifice whatever income I am losing. In truth, I probably already contribute more money to political organizations than I lose to pirates. But I'd be willing to contribute more to keep the internet free.

If you want to know more about the act, see this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/18/sopa-5-things-you-should-_n_1213797.html

And if you are an American citizen, please call your senator. They will be voting on this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment