Tuesday, April 20, 2010

blogging as a form of procrastination...


Everything you can imagine is real. Pablo Picasso

Yes, I'm procrastinating. I've hit a particularly difficult part of the book and that blank page is starting to drive me mad. I keep filling it with images instead of words. argh.

But, since I'm on the subject of trying to write, I'd like to suggest John Gardner. Anything by John Gardner, but specifically "October Light". Recently, I wrote a short blog for Elisa Rolle about my top ten books and for some unforgivable reason I neglected to mention this book or anything by John Gardner. Who also wrote 'Grendal' which everyone has to read at some point. NO, you simply must. Currently, I'm re-reading his book "The Art of Fiction" which is gentle but irresistable, like erosion.

And now I've got to get back to work.

3 comments:

  1. But won't it hurt to read Grendal? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that Art of Fiction! That's a classic. Hey, good luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hurt? I guess it was a pretty sorry ending. Poor old beast. Have you read "October Light"? That one is actually kind of uplifting. Though it did put me off apples for a while.

    Hey Val! Thanks for commenting. Yes, the book. I've reconciled myself to the fact that every book I write is going to have this moment at least once. The "I'd rather be doing anything but..." moment.

    I'm back on track today. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete