Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On waiting for the sequel...

I'd like a show of hands, please.

Who out there is hopelessly, pathetically addicted to the 'Game of Thrones' series?  Not the television series, but the books?  Spoilers follow if you haven't read all five yet.  Or if you are only watching the television series which, honestly, pales in comparison and is only redeemed by the hot blond chick with the dragons.

And if you have read all the way through to book five, don't tell me how it ends. I am holding off on reading the last chapters, because Ive heard that it takes years for George R. R. Martin to finish these things.  Waiting is unbearable.  The little girl is blind. Who is the young man in the boat with the dwarf?  And what about the dragons?

I expect a satisfying tieing up of threads for all of the surviving characters.  I don't know how he's going to do it.  If you've read the books you were probably as dizzy from the constantly changing points of view as I was.  Dizzy and enthralled and addicted.  How can he possibly wrap all of these story lines up?

The answer is, obviously, he can't.  He's going to have to kill a bunch of them off.

I've been reading series and checking the stacks of book stores for the next issue of my current faves, since long before amazon or kindle, or any kind of internet.  How many of you were hooked on the PD James series?  Mary Stewart's 'Chrystal Cave'?  Ah, god, I thought I'd expire before the last book came out and then I cried all the way through it.  I hate you Mary Stewart! 

Series are cruel and, yet, the best thing evah.  For me, it goes back to comic books and waiting for the next Sandman issue. 

so, I know what it's like.  And I apologize.

heh.  :P

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of "GOT" and may get the books, read and liked PD James (but that was awhile ago)...the series I'm interested in reading more about include Adam & Peter and Stefan & Dale Evans...hint, hint :)

    ReplyDelete